You will need to prepare two files: one with the paper’s cover page and one with the abstract and body. The second file must be an anonymous copy, which does not contain author information or acknowledgments.
The cover page should include the paper’s title and the name, affiliation, and contact information for each author. Please make sure to include each author’s e-mail address; the journal uses email as the primary means of communication.
Abstract and Body
The anonymous manuscript should have the paper’s title at the top, followed by the abstract. The body of the paper should begin on the second page.
Initial submissions should ignore the “Instructions to Authors” listed on the Oxford University Press web site! The instructions listed there are for papers that have been accepted.
Papers will not be reviewed until they adhere to all of the guidelines. The process of detecting style errors, notifying the authors, and updating the files can lead to delays of a month or more!
- Abstracts must be 100 words or less.
- Font size: The text must be in an 11 point or larger typeface. To determine your paper’s font size:
- Open your PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Go to Tools>Advance Editing>TouchUp Text Tool.
- Highlight some text, right click, and then click on Properties. The font size should now display. It may differ from what you originally used if Acrobat substituted fonts. If the listed font size is under 11 pt, RCFS will ask for a new version of the PDF file with a font size that appears as 11 pt or larger.
- Spacing: Manuscripts must be double-spaced. If a paper has 28 or fewer lines per page, it is presumed to be double-spaced. This is a “safe harbor” provision. Any paper that meets this criteria is considered to be double-spaced by the RCFS. If you use an 11 point Times Roman typeface and have 1″ margins on the top and bottom, you will be able to fit 28 lines per page.
- Resolution: Please note that we have noticed resolutions issues when papers using the “latex latin9 package” are uploaded into Editorial Express.
- Do not use scans of printed documents for your manuscript pdf. Instead, please convert your source files to pdf for uploading in the submission system.
- Do not use endnotes. Use footnotes instead.
- Tables and figures may be imbedded in the main text or appear at the end of the paper. Do not worry about the style guidelines for tables and figures. If your paper is accepted, you will be able to make the necessary changes.
- Make sure the text is written in clear, grammatically-acceptable English. The grammar does not have to be perfect, but it cannot be so poor that it causes the reader pause at frequent intervals. Articles will be desk rejected if the editor believes the writing is so poor that reviewing the paper will put an unfair burden on the system. If you are unsure about the English, hire somebody to look over your paper. Our publisher offers language editing services at http://www.oxfordlanguageediting.com.
New Submissions That Incorporate Material From a Previously Rejected Article
Do not submit a paper as new that incorporates material from a paper rejected by RCFS without first obtaining permission from one of the journal’s editors or the Executive Editor. Failure to obtain permission prior to doing so may result in sanctions for you and your co-authors. If in doubt, ask!